Thursday, February 6, 2014

Belle Elizabeth Bohne

Belle will be two months old tomorrow and I figured I had better write her birth story before I forget it all. Better late than never!

I know these aren't terribly interesting to most people but I'm excited to document the birth of my baby girl.

So originally Belle's due date was December 6th because of when my LMP was but the first ultrasound told us that her due date was December 15th. This is important to keep in mind because since the beginning I knew her due date was the 6th (the 6th has significance to us because on Dec 6th, 2011 we picked out an engagement ring and our anniversary is on the 6th of April). I just had a feeling.

Here's my last official prego pic. She was born at 38wks 6days so I never took the last photo.


Third trimester of pregnancy treated me pretty well--aside from ulcerative colitis and no sleep...ever. The end of November came and I was starting to feel little contractions. They were obviously Braxton Hicks and not painful at all. I thought that I had this in the bag. I'm strong and tough, I can do this--easy. Not a wimp.

Definitely a wimp.

Monday I had been feeling good--still lots of contractions but good, not too painful (yet). Doc checked me and I was dilated to a 1. Thursday the 5th, around 8pm the contractions started coming on long and strong. Oooouch they hurt pretty dang good. With one of my apps, we timed the contractions and kept track of how far apart they were (we knew we wouldn't be admitted until 5-1-1. Five minutes apart for at least one minute duration for at least an hour). They were close to a minute long but they were about 6-9 minutes apart. We decided to keep track of the contractions but to try to sleep. The contractions continued to be 6-9 minutes apart, around a minute long ALL NIGHT. I would fall asleep sometimes in between contractions but would wake up every 6-9 minutes and almost scream in pain (okay sometimes scream--poor Jordan). That morning they stopped being so consistent and happened every half-hour or so. I was disappointed to go through all that pain and not even be close to having my baby. 

That day I tried every trick I could to try to get her to come--walk on curbs, eat spicy Thai food, jump, whatever I could do. 



Totally attractive, I know. These were "contraction pictures"a half hour before we left for the hospital. Thanks Jordan.

10:45pm, after two painful episodes of watching Chuck with contractions five minutes apart (sometimes two and a half to three) and a minute to two minutes long we grabbed our bags and went to the hospital! We prepared ourselves to be sent home if I wasn't ready enough but it was December 6th, my baby is suppose to be born today!


I got settled into a room and was told I was only dilated to a 1.5. Suck. I was told to rest and I would be checked in a few hours to see if there was any improvement. If not, I wold be sent home. Jordan and I watched "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (sad, dark, and depressing btw) on TV and waited through the contractions. Around 1:30am I was checked again and at a 2.75 and 90% effaced--GOOD ENOUGH! They called the on-call doctor and hooked me up to an epidural. Okay, I respect all you women who had their children naturally but I was so grateful and can't imagine delivery without it. I'll go into more of that later. Doctor Joseph came in at 3:30 and broke my water--super weird feeling by the way. 5am only dilated to a 6 and was not progressing as I should. Pitocin was started and two hours later was at 9cm. I still wasn't fully dilated and really wasn't making any progress at this point (I thought I was but the doctor was frustrated because "this baby was suppose to be born at 5:30am!").


Around 11:15am, I was finally ready and given the okay to start pushing. When I did, baby girl's heart rate began to drop drastically--from 140 to 70. I was scared. We tried a few more times after her heart rate went back up but it would always drop. I was told that I would need to have a C-section. Now, my mom had one with all four of her kids and I know it's no big deal but it scared me. I wasn't mentally prepared for it and because of that, I just didn't want to do it that way. I said a prayer at this point asking Heavenly Father to let baby girl's heart rate steady and to make sure she was okay. I asked that whatever was best for her would happen. I was scared that something would happen to my baby. They had me try pushing again and in my head, I tried talking to baby girl and tried telling her that it would be okay and to keep her heart rate steady. I know that sounds goofy to do but I had always felt a connection with her. During pregnancy, if I was scared that I hadn't felt her kick or move in a long time, I would shortly feel her move as if she knew my thoughts and was saying, "hey, I'm here, chill out mom". I pushed and she remained steady. No C-section, it looked like she was going to be okay. What an answer to my prayer.

After 40 hours of painful contractions, 14 hours at the hospital, and 1.5 hours of pushing, Belle Elizabeth Bohne was born on December 7, 2013 at 12:47pm, 20 inches long and weighing 7lbs 5oz.







She was a little cone-headed because I pushed for so long but she was beautiful. Dark hair, beautiful face, and I was in love. Aside from newborn jaundice, she was a happy and healthy baby.


I was absolutely terrified of delivery while I was pregnant. Yes, the contractions were bad but once I had my epidural, I was able to focus on the excitement of bringing my baby girl into this world instead of focusing on the agonizing pain I would have been in. So basically to any pregnant women out there--pregnancy sucks but delivery is kind of the easy part. Of course everyone is different but that was just my experience.

It sounds silly but we decided on the name Belle after looking through an app of names. We came across that name in July and I said no because I didn't like the alliteration. After saying it a few times, Belle Bohne (pronounced Bonnie for those who haven't got it yet) sounded great. Prior to this point, I had a few names in mind but nothing that I loved. I began to love it and Jordan did to. At a certain point, we still didn't want to tell anyone we had decided her name but we knew she was Belle. We knew strongly that our baby was Belle. PS not named after "Beauty and the Beast" and her name ISN'T Bella. Poor girl will have people thinking she's named after Twilight. Oh good gosh.

As for the middle name, it was a family name.

Elizabeth (Betty) Doty -- Great grandma (still alive and now a great-great grandma!)
Elizabeth (Liz) Dayton -- Grandma
Jennifer Elizabeth Dayton Downs -- Mom
Tess Hannah Elizabeth Downs Bohne -- Me (duh)
Belle Elizabeth Bohne --My beautiful baby girl

5 generations all alive and with a name to tie us all together.
(We can't wait to take a five gen picture!)

Belle is now two months old (tomorrow) and Jordan and I continue to love her more and more each day.

                                   
Two days old.

One week old at home.

Two weeks old, playing with daddy.

Christmas Day, two and a half weeks old.

Three weeks old, right before the move.

Three weeks old and reading scriptures with us on daddy's phone.

One month old, playing on the quilt mommy made.

One month, picture time with mommy!


Month and a half, cuddling with daddy like always.

Six weeks, new toy!

 Seven weeks, happy and alert. Not always asleep!


Two months old. 
My beautiful Belle.











1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! She is so precious! You poor thing had to be in labor for so long! That is no fun! It's funny I saw that picture of you and said to Ben "Oh my gosh, she had to be on oxygen?!" Then he reminds me I had that to while pushing. I guess I was a little out of it. Haha it's all a blur! Anywho, miss you! Oh also, I heard "Heads will roll" the other day and totally thought of favorite trek sister! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete